Tuesday, May 26, 2009

We Met Big John Lipscomb In Person!

Greetings brethren and sistren. My family and I have been blessed. This past week it was our good fortune in this life to travel across the Midwest, to the homestead of Big John Lipscomb and family. My wife and kids and I set out in the minivan on Wednesday May 20th at around 9:30 PM. We were electrified with excitement and energy. This was our kids first time out of Ohio. The van had satellite radio, so we had the jams crankin out there on the highway. Our family all enjoy similar music and bands, so it worked out well. We all like Foo Fighters, and Audioslave and Jennie and I even enjoy the modern music that the kids like. I do not know the names of those bands very much, but it's good music. Stuff like Usher and Mario, Three Days Grace, Korn, Sum 41, Akon, Lil Wayne (my kids are standing here telling me the names). So off we drove into the night, Kansas bound. Route 70 took us through the big cities and across the beautiful mid west. We travelled through Columbus, Dayton, Indianapolis, St. Louis, and Kansas City. The kids were amazed when we drove past the big arch in St. Louis. We went past the famous Cahokia mounds in Illinois. We saw hundreds of death towers in Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, and even some in parts of Kansas. The biggest death tower we saw was a huge cross in Illinois. We had so much fun goofing around and talking and jamming to the rock and roll on the radio. The excitement intensified to an almost unbearable level when we crossed over into Kansas at last. Kansas: Home of The Big John Lipscomb. We stopped for gasoline when we got to within 60 miles of Big John's homestead. It was at that point that I began to actually look around at people, on the outside chance that I might see Big John. When I was pumping the gas, I thought to myself: " Big John has probably pumped gas right here from this pump before...". Yes folks, I am a nerd, these are the types of things I think about. Now we were getting really close. Keep in mind that by now, we were road weary and our butts were cramped from the long drive. Nevertheless, the closer we got to the Lipscomb Ranch, the more intense and excited we felt. Every now and then my son Josiah would restate the current situation to all of us, as a kind of "pinch" to make sure we were not dreaming it all. He would bust out and say: "We're going to see Big John Lipscomb"!!! Then he'd hold his fist out to me and "bust the rock". At last we reached our destination, we saw a metallic colored old fashioned water tower which said "TORONTO". Yeah !!!! At that point my heart was actually beating fast. You must realize that I was about to meet a man, unlike any other I have ever met, or even heard of. Anyway, there we were at last, in Toronto. Toronto proper is a tiny little town with a very old fashioned vibe. We immediately loved this town. Then we saw Big John's Survivalist Seeds office. I recognized it from pictures on Big John's website, http://www.donttreadonme.tv/ . We did not stop there however, because there were three or four vehicles parked out front, and I imagined that Big John's people were very busy in there, packing and posting and labelling and working. Plus I was eager to get to the homestead. Plus I was nervous. So we passed on through Toronto in search of the Lipscomb homestead. Big John lives WAY off the beaten track. I'm talking down dusty gravel roads through the woods and forest. We had quite a time actually finding it, even though we knew we were very close. Then I spotted the bright gold Gadsden flag flying from the front of the cabin. "That's it!", "We made it!". I cautiously touched the metal gateway at the entrance to the Lipscomb Homestead. I thought it might be electric. No shock. Ahh, good. I opened the gate and my wife pulled the van on in. We were greeted by a wonderful variety of animals. A beautiful horse stood near by, champing and snuffling. He was not very impressed with us. He gave us a passing glance, and went back to more important things. The dogs on the other hand were extremely interested in our presence. Lucky for us, Big John had put the dogs inside a large dog area since he knew we were coming. These were big dogs with a very serious look about them. Not your average Fido or Spot. Then a pair of donkeys approached us in a friendly manner. They rolled out the red carpet for us. This was a real treat for the kids and us too, as we had never petted a donkey before. One is called Red Richie, and the other is called Mad Max. Richie is a nice fat donkey, and exceedingly affectionate. Mad Max seemed more concerned at all times with whatever Red Richie is doing. But Max let us get a few strokes in on him just to be polite. Richie on the other hand let us pet him as much as we liked. He has the biggest eyes. After a few minutes Big John himself pulled in to the homestead. I have to admit man, I knew he was a big guy, but I was unprepared for his actual height. I'm telling you, I felt like a hobbit standing next to him. I couldn't believe he was actually standing there talking to us. His voice is deeper in person than it is on the radio. +++ Then we met John's wife Cathy. Oh my god you guys, Big John has this AWESOME little wife. She is around 5'3" I think. She is so pretty and has the nicest voice. She welcomed us warmly and made us feel familiar and comfortable in every aspect. Cathy has a very special charming quality, and at the same time possesses a level of toughness which makes her beauty and charm even more captivating. Big John and Cathy are the best matched pair I have ever seen. +++ Then we met Baby-Drew, John and Cathy's youngest daughter. Drew is a very beautiful young lady, with her Mother's good looks and intelligence, and a free spirit like her Mom and Dad. My kids took to Drew right away. She made them feel most welcome. My kids' personalities will remain influenced forever from those few days that they got to visit with Ms. Drew. I am very pleased with that influence. I'm sitting here sharing this experience with you, but words cannot truly reflect what I experienced during our visit. But that ain't gonna stop me from trying. Never has. +++ Our first night there Cathy cooked a delicious dinner. We got to see Big John's cabin. It is so cool. He built it himself. It has a flavor and style all its own. Big John finished the inside walls with this really cool veneer made with old paper bags and some kind of shellac. It gives the cabin that antique feel. I had never seen that before. The Lipscomb's have this awesome old fashioned dinner table, made with wood and glass and I think brass. Definitely not a wal-mark table. In the kitchen area there is a sturdy wood-burning stove. After dinner we sat up talking and listening. This we did every night of our stay. Those conversations will stay with me for the rest of my days. I'm not going to elaborate on what we talked about, I'm keeping those in my heart. +++ One night Cathy served us desert and fresh cows milk. Oh man, it was heaven in a glass. Poured from a cold glass bottle. It was so creamy and delicious I could live on nothing but that milk for two weeks easy. I don't know what that stuff is we buy at the grocery store, but it does not resemble fresh cows milk in any significant way. +++ Then one night Cathy served us all one of Big John's favorites: Fried potato stew. Man it was so good. I kid you not. My mouth waters now as I type this. I can still taste it in my mind. One thing I regret: I was so busy eating the fried potato stew, I forgot to eat some beans. I told Jennie (my wife) that we have to go back and see the Lipscomb's again some day, because I forgot to eat those beans. Not that there was any room in my belly for more, I was stuffed. +++ On Saturday we got to meet Big John's daughters Randi and Alyssa. (I hope i spelled Alyssa correctly). Randi and Alyssa are both so pretty. They are so kind and sweet. We are not accustomed to being around folks who are so non-pretentious and sure of themselves. Their smiles are so genuine. If you have seen Big John's "Dowse Like A Pro" video series, and his series of talks on God and Time and Life, then you have seen Alyssa and Randi. They are both gifted with incredible talent in the film and photography arts/sciences. Their work in both film and still photography is absolutely top shelf. Big John told me one time that part of being a great father is "not messing up the perfection that they already are". How true that is. +++ I was able to shoot a little video on my cheap little movie camera. I'm going to e-mail that video footage to Big John and let him watch it, and then ask his permission to post it here on Patriots Cave for you to see. The film is about 10 minutes, I walked around the homestead, filming the goats, donkeys, horse, turkey, chickens, dogs, rabbits, kitty-cats, and peacock. Plus I filmed Big John, Cathy, Drew, Josiah, Jessica, Jennie, and myself. Check back here to the Cave in the next day or two and I should have the film up for you to view and hear. +++ This visit was a watershed event for me. My son kept telling me that Big John is "just like Morpheus" from THE MATRIX. I would have to agree. I know John will not like me complementing him, but this is for my readers so I'll do it anyway: Big John is the most alive human being I've ever known. He is like the shaman-warriors of old, or the wizard-kings from the ancient days. I am going to ask him for the privilege of writing his biography. I feel that a biography must be written about him. It would be unfair to not share his life story and his knowledge with those sincere seekers out there who are genuinely searching for the Truth. I have to go to Budo-Ki now. Oh yea, one day my kids gave a Ninjitsu demonstration for Big John and his family. They loved it! They made my kids feel so special. And my wife and I too. These are the best people I have ever known. The best. +++ one more thing for now, here are three songs which reflect some aspect of my trip to meet Big John and family: click them to listen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slRNXrn_5vE&feature=related, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy2ZUGc2mSs, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sorn-3DHTC8

8 comments:

DustyDave said...

great...but did you watch the devils advocate????LOL

Joel the K said...

I'm sorry Dave, we did not watch the film "Devil's Advocate". It was not possible given the fact that two families were visiting together. I am going to go up to the video rental place later and rent Devils advocate and Apocalypto. I want to see both of these films. I will definately e-mail you my thoughts. Only thing is, my e-mail will not let me retreive my incoming mail in my "in box". I may have to switch to my other e-mail account. My other e-mail is joelweldon@live.com if anyone wants to e-mail me. I will keep trying to get in my yahoo mail though. Wonder why it wont let me in? AI? hmnnnn....

Trini Airguns said...

Joel
You sound really enthused about your visit with Big John. Really glad to hear both your families enjoyed it, and-just as importantly-you documented the occasion on cam.

I hope one day to be able to extend a proper invitation to you and your family.

-Trini

Joel the K said...

Yes Trinni, it was really something. But I struggle. An endless sorrow haunts me.I need to stop feeling the end of all things, and just live in the moment. I always think about how everything in the end gets seperated from each other. We leave friends behind. Loved ones die. We grow old and and wither. Even as I drove away from the Lipscombs, before we were out of sight, I looked back and saw Big John walking away. And that ancient sorrow known to all men found my heart open to easy attack. I guess these thoughts come when we begin to realize the years are getting behind us. I'm sorry Trinni. Why do I dump this on you? It is because I know you understand. I would love to visit you and your family. I have never left the USA in this life. T & T would be an amazing adventure for sure. And I know you are a true-heart. With a beautiful family. Talk to you later Trinni.
Joel

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Just popping in to say nice site.

Anonymous said...

Why don't you ask his daughters how fake he is.