Saturday, November 26, 2011

The Penny-Pinching, Cheapskate, Tightwad Survivalist Prepares For 2012

Hey now brethren and sistren, welcome to The Patriots Cave. Thanksgiving 2011 has passed. December is upon us. One more moon and our planet will enter that region in spacetime called "2012". It's damn near here folks. What's going to happen? A logical guess right now would be war, civil unrest, economic collapse, and possibly mass power failures as a result of solar cycle #24's CME's, X-class flares and massive electromagnetic pulse impacts. None of these scenarios are outlandish or improbable. Record numbers of people are prepping. That is they are preparing for emergency situations like the ones I listed above. I myself am one of these preppers. But I'm a penny-pinching, tightwad, cheapskate survivalist and not really what you would consider a "prepper" in the common usage. I don't buy cases of dehydrated MREs and survival food that costs $1,000 for 2 weeks worth of meals. Sure I'd love to have stacks of MRE cases piled up in the basement, but I can't because I'm a penny-pinching, tightwad, cheapskate survivalist.

I buy organic wheat by the 25 lb. bag, put it in double 1 gallon ziplock bags, put it in the freezer for 3 days to kill any weevil eggs, then put it in rubbermaid storage bins. It will store for many years if I don't eat it first.
I bought a grain grinder mill for apx. $30 on e-bay. I bought compressed blocks of yeast from Honeyville Farms for a good price.
I buy those HUGE #10 cans of baked beans, corn, chili beans, green beans, apple sauce, and peaches for $3 or $4 each. I buy canned chicken for $1 each when they go on sale. Instead of MREs, I go to Odd Lots and buy those pre-cooked tray meals like chicken and rice or chicken a'la'king for $1 each on clearance.
    I buy hand tools at the uptown flea market. Old, American made axes, hammers, saws, hand drills, metal 5 gal. fuel cans and such for a dollar or two each. You guys should see the 1950's era metal cooler box I purchased at the flea market for $5. It is all metal, double layered with a removable third layer metal box inside of the big box. It's like a big beer cooler, like those big plastic coolers you put a bag of ice and a case of pop in, except this one is painted enamel green and it's all metal. Five bucks.
   I bought my gas masks from surplus outlets for dirt cheap. I have read "pro" survivalists on the BIG "SURVIVAL" Blogs saying how the old Russian GP-5 gas masks are useless for real world usage. I have one thing to say about that: Bullcrap. Here is an excerpt from Wikipedia regarding the Russian GP-5 gas mask: The GP-5 Gas Mask is a Soviet-made single filter gas mask. It was issued to the Soviet population starting in 1970; production ended in 1989. It is a lightweight mask, weighing 1.09 kg (2.42 lbs). It can operate in all weather and withstand temperatures from -40 degrees (Celsius & Fahrenheit) to 114 Celsius (174 Fahrenheit). The GP-5 also comes with sealed glass eye pieces. They were originally made to protect the wearer from radioactive fallout during the Cold War and were distributed to most fallout shelters. They have recently been tested in Poland to see if they have NBC protective capabilities. It was concluded that the mask will last in a NBC situation for 24 hours
Only 24 hours? Oh no! Wait, don't panic. If you find yourself in an NBC (nuclear, chemical, biological) contamination zone for longer than 24 hours, you are in serious trouble regardless of how expensive your gas mask was before TSHTF. A gas mask is used to get you to a shelter or to get you upwind of the contamination. Not to play around in ground zero for 24 hours. I will say this. I purchased new filters for our masks. I bought a case of sealed, brand new 40mm thread NATO NBC filters to use instead of the old Russian filters that came with the masks. I keep those old Russian filters for back-ups. But the masks themselves are airtight and reliable and very durable and rugged. The guys who talk bad about GP-5 masks are the guys trying to sell you $300 gas masks. If you have $1500 to plunk down for gas masks for the entire family then good for you. If not, I suggest doing what the penny-pinching tightwad cheapskate survivalist does: buy some GP-5 masks for $10 each and add a case of new filters for $65. Throw in some $7 Tyvek suits, some rubber nuke boots and chemical gloves from the hardware store, add a roll of duct tape, and you and your family are squared away on NBC suits on the cheap.
    What about traps? Do you have any? No? Go to Drugmart and buy 6-7 Victor rat traps. A true survivalist taught me this. You can catch all kinds of small game with rat traps. They are cheap. Dirt cheap. And they might some day fill your stew pot with meat. Get some.
   What about hunting? I suggest a $69.95 crossbow from BUDK (click my banners) with 150lb. draw, and a pellet gun w 1,000 fps muzzle velocity. Both are quiet and won't alert the roving cannibal hoards to your presence. The crossbow will take big game, the airgun will take small game. You can get a .177 caliber 1,000 fps pellet rifle for around $75-$95 brand new these days. These airguns pack plenty of punch and can kill damn near anything with a well placed shot. It wouldn't hurt to have a ColdSteel boar spear on hand to finish off bigger and more dangerous game (like wild pigs) if the pellet or crossbow bolt doesn't quite stop the kicking and thrashing that occurs after trauma to the nervous system. I don't have my ColdSteel spear yet, but I'm getting one soon God willing.
   Also, for so many other items like tents, wheel-barrows, bikes, trailers, coats, clothes, tools, and more, don't forget garage sales, yard sales, Craigs list, and flea markets. A penny-pinching tightwad cheapskate survivalist always keeps his/her eyes open for deals, swaps, barters, closeouts, clearances, going out of business sales, and any kind of opportunity to strengthen their family's preparedness level and readiness profile. Prepping is not a hobby, fad, or obsession, it's a lifestyle. Get your prep on.
For the Patriots Cave this is Joel the K, over and out.

No comments: